Episode 6



After downloading my trip registration, I was directed to my berth on the Employee Deck.
I showered and slept for 12 hours straight, awaking feeling disjointed and on edge, the prospect of a month in company was not something I was looking forward to. No matter how many times I’ve done it; new faces new histories and personalities; but ultimately the same old shit: office politics.

InterOrbital Induction begins with the obligatory Heath and Safety presentation and ensuing banal Q&A download.
I was issued with a safety warning regarding vigilance and awareness of possible Theist activity on the InterOrbital paths – six months away and not much had changed.
Next the obligatory visit to Psych; more Q&A, verbal this time but no less banal.
If I had been a cynical man back then I might have said (not too loudly) that, summed up, the whole procedural thing was paranoia at the highest level.
And now I can say without fear of contradiction or any other violence, that the System was afraid of anything outside of its control – if there’s one thing a system hates it’s a maverick, a random element, a thing you can’t pin down – a human mind.
The system forgets that it was mavericks that created all of this, facilitated our progress in spreading, like a virus, across the universe.
Mavericks who fought their way to the edge of whatever system they found themselves in.
Mavericks like the unknown men who developed, designed and built the Random Engine – the countless designers, engineers, administrators and hangers-on who allowed us to escape Earth and expand our thing across those swathes of galaxies –those bubble civilisations that float in isolation with only one common thread that lead back to our home planet, presuming of course that, as history told us, Earth was in fact our planet of origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment